Home renovation and remodeling today has never been more thrilling in the past as to what it is today. There are many different reasons to renovate a home, some might be professional where as some might be personal. People usually renovate their houses either to make room for a growing family, to increase the resale value of your home, or as majority of them do – it is simply to bring a fresh new look to the house. Planning to renovate your home can be minor or major depending on where and what you want to change or renovate, your estimated budget for the project, the amount of time you can give in etc.
It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of renovations without giving too much thought to the things it brings along. Any task you take up – be it fixing up a broken tap in your kitchen, changing the way the living room looks or renovating your entire house, before you can enjoy the finished result, you’re likely to undergo certain ups and downs through the journey.
Here are a few things you may not know about home renovations. They just might help you make decisions that keep you from regretting all your efforts you put in.
- Know your budget: It’s really important before you start on the renovation, that you have a clear understanding of what to expect out of your budget. Renovations don’t necessarily have to be complicated or expensive and at the same time expenses are bound to increase than your set estimate. Until and unless a project actually starts, you really will not know about the unseen expenses it brings along with it. Considering this, always create a lower budget than you think you will need.
- Be realistic: While dreaming is good for designing the overall picture of how you want your home to be renovated, you also need to consider the option on being realistic about what you can achieve based on your budget. For instance, if you dream on having a piece renovated in a particular area of your home and that exceeds your quoted estimate, try to break it into pieces and renovate it. It is very essential to know how you want to shape up your dream project. Ensure you have all the material in hand before you start with your project so that the does not work hold up.
- Daily Routine Affected: Major house renovations are a big deal and cause a lot of disruption to your normal lifestyle. They often cost more and take longer than you think and involve a lot of setbacks. It takes a lot to go through the changes and adjust to the new routine in a new/rented house and again take time for you to adjust once you are back to your original nest.
- Recycling and reusing is not always the best option: While it is good to try to save in whatever you can, it is equally bad if you try to re-use certain materials which would cost you more than getting a new piece. In some cases it could be equally or highly damaging and may spoil the end product. Trying to be stingy could bounce back and cost you much more in time than you could ever imagine.
- Underestimating the Expenses: You need to precisely define your needs and decide what suits the best to you, your needs and of course, your budget. Ensure to add in all the foreseen and unseen costs to your final estimate. It is always a better option to be cautious beforehand than to regret certain things later.
- Good & Bad Advices Once you spill the beans to your near and dear ones about your plans on renovating your house, everyone would splurge up and start to ponder upon you with their ideas. While considering their options and thinking over their opinions is not a bad idea, do not take their ideas blindly. Do not take it if it is not alignment with what you wanted. It can lead to costly mistakes and regrets. .
- Be Firm On What You Want: If you choose to hire a professional(s) to renovate your home,you need to be clear in portraying what your vision is and explain the same to them for the final outcome. You can always be open about their opinions and views about that piece, but in the end it is you who has to live with it, so be stubborn about what your needs and requirements are.
- Don’t Go Overboard: One of the key points to take into consideration, which is usually ignored, is to know what your house really wants.. You might be inspired for that amazing piece of wall art your friend or relative might have put up and might as well be tempted to get a similar one, which is not at all wrong. But hey, do think your home has a need and room for it?
- Set aside money for concealed expenses: While you may be a pro in your work and might have planned on the budget in a proper executed manner, you always fail to set aside extra money for unperceived expenses that come along. One often fails and underestimates the dust that sets in the open spaces, ducts and corners of the house and the additional cost it takes to get it cleaned up. Also, if you are living and renovating the same house, you fail to add on the additional expense that comes in from having to eat every meal of your day from an outside vendor.
Well, renovating your home is definitely a major step in one’s life, ensure you enjoy the journey even after all the hurdles and setbacks it comes along with. Do your research, decide on what you want, fix on your budget and plan your renovation well in advance, keeping in mind the above mentioned points.